torstaina, marraskuuta 15, 2007

On our territory

kurpitsapilliWe see school children like this on our way home from Ilma's kindergarten. They often have these instruments with them, kind of flutes but made on small pumpkins (?). I like the dim and dark sound of them, would like to buy one and learn to play it a bit.
Here is the nearest crossing to our home. In one corner we use to buy our milk and joghurt. It is usual that there is a whole family riding on a scooter. Ilma and I live in an appartment on the second floor where also the Swedish speaking Finn Annika lives, and now even the Danish singer Marianne. They both will fly away on saturday, then there will be some Englishman or -woman just for a week, then I don't know. We have a shared kitchen and living room, our own bedrooms, Ilma and I have our own bathroom without warm water, and then there's another one with a warm shower and a washing machine.


muovikauppaFurther on our street Xiba Lu there are several shops like this, about the first thing I saw, the different plastic things look so bright and funny. The street is full of small affairs where the wall to the street is drawn up for the daytime. The shop is also for living, there is often family, often a small child, they cook and eat and wash their hair and take care of the children and the shopkeeping, the children play, all that in the shop, or rather in front of the shop which also belongs to their living room so to say. That's why there's not much room for pedestrians on the sidewalk sometimes, it's easier to walk on the road with the cars, bicycles and mopeds. That's why the motor vehicles often hoot for everybody to know that they are coming.
tyohuonevanhaThen there's my old studio that I later changed with the two Cambodjan artists who came after Agneta, a Swede, left. You can see my sewing machine called 'butterfly' in Chinese, it really is working like a butterfly, lightly. I borrowed it from the mother of Tian Yao, my assistant when I came here. tyohuoneeltaalasAnd the scene I see from my new studio, from a long balcony. There is a minority theatre group practising, singing, playing and sewing their costumes in the inner yard .
We have now been here for four weeks! The time goes so fast. Ilma is in a small christian kindergarten with 10 to 15 chinese children. In the beginning it went quite well, but now she doesn't want to sleep there and is really tired in the evenings. Sometimes they have Swedish teachers who work here as volunteers, that is really nice for Ilma who knows some Swedish. I communicate in poor English with the teachers. Ilma has learned some Chinese but I don't really know how much.

Ei kommentteja: